Keep Calm

Monday 18 August 2014

20. Rollercoaster

Life is a rollercoaster, you will survive, just hold on.

Period: December 2012 - February 2013


After coming out of hospital, I felt completely invincible! For the first time in a couple of years I had bags of energy and I wasn't in constant pain. A family friend with ulcerative colitis warned me that it was the prednisolone making me feel so good and that I shouldn't push my body too hard, but I just wanted to make the most of feeling so amazing! I had ridiculous insomnia, getting  between 3-5 hours sleep a night, but at first I didn't care because I had so much energy during the day.

It was around this time that I noticed a significant change in my Mum. I hadn't realised it before, but my declining health had a massive impact on her mental well-being and when I arrived home from hospital she was suddenly more relaxed. I felt extremely guilty thinking about what I had put her through - if I have children I seriously hope they do not inherit my stubbornness!

I insisted on going back to work full-time immediately, but my bosses were great and forced me to come back gradually. Having watched my slow descent first-hand (and knowing how stubborn I was) at least they realised I wasn't ready, even if I refused to see it! I tried to enjoy that Christmas, despite being on the LOFFLEX diet, and in my euphoria I started thinking about the future again. Unfortunately, by the time my prednisolone dosage was reduced to from 40mg to 20mg, my symptoms were coming back with a vengeance and my mood swings were making life very difficult. I wish I had put a camera in the car, because my road rage was out of this world!

At my hospital appointment in February, by which time it was clear the prednisolone had not had the desired effect, the doctor prescribed me the immunosuppressant Azathioprine. Unfortunately, I was back to feeling hopeless and I was painfully aware of my lack of conviction that the treatment would work. I was conscious of how negative my mindset had now become, which made things much more difficult as I have always believed that the mind plays an important role in physical health.

The most certain way to succeed is to always try just one more time


No comments:

Post a Comment