Keep Calm

Saturday 9 August 2014

6. Parting of Ways

Paihia Sunrise - Chris Zielecki

Period: November 2010 - December 2010

As so we reached our chosen destination of Paihia, a tourist town in the far North. The intention was to find jobs and earn some money over the summer. Unfortunately, camping in the middle of a NZ summer when you have just had abdominal surgery is not ideal and, while my friends quickly found jobs as cleaners, I was trying to stay comfortable during the day in a sweltering tent waiting for my stitches to heal. Paihia is a beautiful place, but there is not a great deal to do and I was feeling increasingly isolated from my friends and the world in general, particularly as I tried to suppress my suspicions that the surgery was pointless.

After a couple of weeks, with my scars almost completely healed, I went in search of a job - but I seemed to lack motivation. Despite felling physically better than I had in months, I just wasn't happy and I couldn't figure out why I felt so alone. The loneliness was really getting to me and I decided it would be better to go off by myself and be lonely through choice, rather than stay in company where I felt increasingly isolated. Either I would go on to have an amazing time, or I would crash and burn and go back to Blighty with my tail between my legs.

Trying to suppress the guilt at leaving my friends, I decided I needed to embrace my new found health and embark on my own adventure, but I struggled to find a way to break the news to them. They were understandably annoyed, having stuck with me when I was in hospital, but they could see I wasn't happy. Having packed up the car and said my goodbyes, I headed 400km south (about 250 miles) to Tauranga to stay with a friend while I figured out what I wanted to do.  I considered stationing myself in  for Tauranga the summer, however the friend I was visiting was partial to a good smoke and I had always been highly susceptible to the magic dragon myself. It would also have seemed like I was settling for the safe option. Therefore, I applied for jobs all over the North Island and I quickly secured a position as receptionist in a hotel in the capital, Wellington.

The drive from Tauranga to Wellington was nine of the most amazing hours of my life. About 500km (300 miles) down State Highway 1, through some of the most stunning and diverse landscapes imaginable, including panoramic views of the magnificent Tongariro National Park. This was a pretty magical day for me, feeling well again and with no idea what lay before me... perfect! I was excited, with just the right amount of fear. I was aware that my symptoms had not completely disappeared, but it was secondary to the excitement. I remember having this confidence that whatever happened, it would all work out in the end. My experiences since then have left me a touch more cynical!

Quotes about cynicism






No comments:

Post a Comment